You’ve been suspecting this for a while, and your friends are starting to echo your suspicions: You’re giving your relationship your all while your significant other doesn’t seem to care on way or the other. How can you tell if your relationship is one-sided and you are the only one giving of your time and energy?
1. He blows you off for other engagements. You’ve set plans in motion with him, but he cancels for a better offer. You’re always making sure you don’t over schedule your day, but he seems to cancel a lot. Either something better comes along, or he forgot he already had something else planned. Regardless, you get the shaft.
2. Your quality time lacks quality. You notice that when you’re together, he’s constantly on his phone or you feel like you’re the one coming up with conversation starters and things to do.
3. He gets easily distracted. When you’re talking to him, you notice that he doesn’t provide a lot of eye contact. His eyes are constantly moving about the room, maybe to a TV screen or other women. Or he lets someone else butt into your conversation and take over. And this happens to you a lot.
4. You both make promises, but you’re the only one who sees them through. Promises he makes like: “Let’s go to that steakhouse sometime,” or “I’ll take you to see where I grew up this summer,” or “I’ll start treating you more gently when you get upset,” never see the light of day.
5. He gets defensive when you confront him. You need to know that he’s really trying to make things work, but when you ask him to stop hanging out with an ex or to start listening and not talk until you’re done sharing your feelings, he lashes back and accuses you of something to make the playing field even.
6. He forgets things you told him. While everybody has a lot to remember on a daily basis, if someone remembers something about you from a long time ago, then you know they took the effort to tuck that fact away in their brain. If your partner can’t remember your birthday or your favorite food or your biggest dream, it may not just mean he’s a little forgetful, it may he wasn’t listening and he doesn’t care.
One of the above signs may just mean your partner is human and has room for growth. But if your significant other has most of these qualities, you may need to reevaluate your relationship. You might want to check out this video for some tips on how to get the man you desire and who desires only you. – Lisa P.