In a perfect world everyone would have healthy, happy family relationships…
Family gatherings would be blissful, stress-free events. Sadly, the world is far from a perfect place, and many family relationships are strained and difficult. Some are just plain dysfunctional.
Given how much is known today about the link between emotional and physical health, it shouldn’t come as a surprise to learn that toxic family relationships can lead to illness. Simmering tensions and fighting within a family will eventually take their toll on everyone involved.
If you’re concerned that your family relationships are negatively affecting your health, consider these questions:
· Do you find yourself becoming tense when you see certain family members?
· Is the mere thought of some relatives enough to set your nerves on edge?
· Do you feel drained and depleted after spending time with family?
· Do you have recurring health problems that seem to flare up when you’re stressed?
· Do you suffer from depression and/or low self-esteem?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, then your family could be making you sick.
The best way to ensure that toxic family relationships are not affecting your health is to get to the heart of the issues that are causing stress. As most people already know, this is easier said than done.